Friday, March 19, 2010

Just about one month

For those who read my words, but not his (- and that to me seems very unfortunate because he is such the better writer -) with just under 1 month since the quintuple bypass, I can only be amazed at the recovery that Andris has made.

"We" are up to 2 x 22 minute walks each day (and he has been fortunate to be able to sneak in an extra walk here and there given the beautiful weather), and "we" do our morning exercises as well as our stretches, and have made quite a number of excursions so as not to become stir-crazy.

As I think about this past month, like most in Ontario, it is also difficult not to be amazed at the late spring-like weather with which we have been blessed. One day when Andris was away with friends, I did take my kayak out into the cold but melting ice-encircled area of the Madawaska River near our home. My thought was that I didn't want him to know that I had gone out when he couldn't. In other years he would be the one to be itching to get onto the Madawaska, suggest that I join him - and if I did, I'd grumble and mutter all the way down to the river, but be ever so grateful upon coming back home that I did. I only went out for about 20 minutes, and then it took me 15 minutes to land the kayak (without capsizing) because of the ice at the shore line. This weekend I expect to get out again and for a greater distance (so much more ice has melted and the navigable ice-bound area has increased geometrically - I just have to remember that my body is not yet accustomed to longer paddles....) and perhaps Andris will take a picture to post ....

(Please keep checking up on http://madawaska1.blogspot.com One of his most recent posts is on dependency. Wow....)

No comments:

Post a Comment