Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Patience - tried

February 7th
Drove to Ottawa with Andris on Sunday night so we could stay with friends.

February 8th
5am Monday morning wake up to alarm (and we slept so well. NOT!)
5:30am Leave friends' home
5:45 we reach hospital
(Timing frustration:
pre admission unit (PAU) opens at 6am and they want you in at that hour
parking lot opens at 7am,
Tim Horton's opens at 7am )
At 6:15 Andris goes in to be prepped
About 6:20 I get to do the paperwork - sign away our life's savings if insurance doesn't cover something
By 6:45 Andris is shaved, showered and medicated with "happy pills" to ease tension
7:10 the gurneys arrive for the 3 patients scheduled for morning surgery.
7:15 Andris is wheeled and taken to the basement (where the OR is located) and I get to go down the elevator with him and say by-for-now
7:20 I have Tim's coffee and breakfast sandwich
By 8:00 I am at the home of friends, and given the OUHI efficiency, say that Andris' bypass should now be starting
8:10 I go for shower - to wake-up from restless night and early morning
8:12 I decide to bring cell phone to bathroom - just-in-case the hospital calls, though think that is actually silly
8:30 I am showered and dressed and just about to dry hair when cell phone rings
8:35 I tell friends that Andris' surgery has been cancelled - that is:postponed due to missing anesthetist (away due to illness of child)
By 9:00 I am back at hospital to pick Andris up (first time I go to the PAU room I forget to bring his clothes... must have been the breakdown moment)
By 9:30 we are back in my car heading for Arnprior, without a new date for surgery
Several times on the way home Andris checks our phone at home for message from the UOHI
Before getting to Arnprior Andris retrieves the message from the UOHI about the new date for surgery

February 23rd
the date for Andris' rescheduled bypass surgery

February 9th
I wish someone had given me some of the happy pills that Andris got .....

No comments:

Post a Comment