Monday, January 25, 2010

Sloth

I should probably check dictionaries before starting writing - but I also know that I can also edit what I've written - and so - whether "sloth" is the correct word or not, I am not really sure.

Today was a day off work, obstensively to do work on my St Paul's book report due in December 2009. And I did do that, but my heart certainly wasn't into it. In one book Andris looked up, in a chapter on the caregivers of heart surgery patients, it suggests that once back home, the caregiver takes rests everytime the patient does, just to save on energy. That makes sense, but taking a nap now when Andris feels tired is probably taking too much leeway. And isn't that the first step to slothfulness?

What I ultimately did is either a sign that I have come to my senses, have finally grown up and away from fear of not being perfect academically, or another indication of sloth: I wrote to the department secretary to ask what would be the consequences of NOT finishing my book report or writing the 3 hr exam. Yes I lose the $ I paid and I get an F (or worse) for not completing the course - but can I take the course again if I so desire to get my credit for a pastoral liturgy certificate (the course being a requisite)? I can't believe how much I want NOT to do the work right now....

Instead of working on the report I then looked up distance education from St F ofX, weekend courses in Montreal on RCIA and other educational posibilities related to my ministry work. I have the interest, but is it a lack of stick-to-it-iveness? I would like to say that it is that I have other things on my mind. Or is that just the easy excuse?

Maybe it is indolence?

PS Andris warned my that writing here could become addictive.

No comments:

Post a Comment